There are 9 Tips to consider when updating a bathroom. Other than the kitchen, a bathroom is the most popular room in a home and is always high on the list when it comes to renovation projects. Unlike a messy bedroom or disorganized storage area, we can’t shut the bathroom door in an attempt to hide the space. Furthermore, most guests are alone when using the facilities, so they have time to observe their surroundings and think about what they see, unlike when they are in other rooms and are busy eating, drinking, or socializing.
And for the homeowners themselves, a bathroom is a very personal space. Think about all the time spent in a bathroom. It’s an intimate area used to relax, cleanse, prepare for the day, or get ready for a special occasion.
For these reasons and others, it’s imperative our bathrooms are at their best, both aesthetically and functionally. Many updates and renovations can take place on a small budget, so don’t let the money factor stop you. Small changes can make a big difference. If you are thinking about updating your bathroom, below are several factors to consider.
9 Tips to Consider When Updating a Bathroom
- Budget: It’s no fun think about money first and foremost, but you’ll be happy in the long run when you have a beautiful bathroom and have spent within your means. Once you have a general budget, the design team at Braemar can help you with the design process, timeline creation and purchasing materials.
- Colors: Because painting typically happens before tiling, installing new appliances, or adding finishing touches, it’s important to make color decisions early in the process. Do you want your new bathroom to be bright and lively or mellow and rejuvenating? Deciding on colors up front will help determine tile, cabinets, fixtures, appliances, and accessories.
- Shower or Tub: Because showers and bathtubs take up significant room, it’s important you select what’s best for you and your family. If no one takes a bath, a shower alone will certainly save space. If you have a large bathroom, perhaps you can have two separate units, which many people prefer. If you decide on a tub, how large would you like it to be? If you decide on a shower, do you need one or two shower heads? These and other factors are important to consider before selecting appliances.
- Sink/Vanity: Similar to the shower/tub decision, fully think about how and when the sink is used. Do you need two sinks? Will one suffice? Do you want a pedestal sink or one with storage underneath? The size of the bathroom affects the type of sink and vanity that can be installed. Braemar’s design team will work with you to maximize space while achieving the look you’ve envisioned.
- Cabinets: Cabinets are our specialty at Braemar, so we especially look forward to this phase of the renovation. Whether you need under-sink cabinets, hanging cabinets, or a freestanding cabinet unit, we have a variety of beautiful options to choose from. If you need significant storage in your bathroom, we can ensure that becomes a reality.
- Lighting: The options for lighting are seemingly endless on today’s market. If you’ve never renovated a room, you may not realize how many lighting options there truly are; it can become quite overwhelming. In a bathroom, especially, a variety of lighting is often needed or desired. You may want bright vanity lights for applying make-up, recess lighting for a relaxing bath, and pendant lighting for everyday routines. Again, depending on your needs and desires, our our team can help you select the types of lighting that will best suit your needs.
- Tile and flooring: These two components are not always related. Traditionally, tile has been a popular choice for a bathroom floor, but some folks actually prefer wood or even carpet in a bathroom. While tile is extremely durable and often the easiest to maintain, it can potentially be unsafe underfoot. Depending on your physical needs and design goals, we can help you find the flooring that works for you. Also, tile is now often used on walls, as backsplash, and in the shower. There are a plethora of flooring and tiling options, so like all of the other factors, it’s very beneficial for you to enter the first design meeting with a few ideas of what you would like.
- Accessories: Once the bulk of the renovation is complete, you can then relax and have some fun choosing accessories such as curtains, shades, mirrors, faucets, and decor items. Before and during the renovation process, collect ideas via Pinterest, in magazines, and from other resources. This will give our designers a clear picture of the final product you’re aiming for.
- Sustainability and safety: Depending on your personal preferences and the needs of your family, there are other factors you may need to consider. If you are concerned about sustainability, there are numerous “green” options for modern bathrooms. If safety is an issue for your or someone in your family, we will honor those needs that and renovate accordingly.
Renovating your home is fun and brings change and excitement. The bathroom is especially rewarding because it’s both a personal and communal space so many people will benefit from the updated room. Moreover, the bathroom often takes less time to renovate than other, larger rooms so the construction phase is shorter and you can begin using your new space sooner. If you’re ready to initiate your bathroom remodel in the Northern Virginia area, call Braemar today. We look forward to hearing from you!