For years, studies have indicated clutter as a significant source of stress in people of all ages. An organized outer world stimulates an inner calm, so it would behoove us to stay neat and tidy, both on the grand scale and the small. Essentially, when your home is clean and organized, you feel happier and more in control. But as we all know, this is easier said than done. The hustle and bustle of everyday life doesn’t lend itself well to keeping a home structured and well-kept. The team at Braemar has developed a list of tips and tricks to keep your home organized and ultimately reduce your stress level.
Tips to say organized
- Assess the situation: Before getting started, take a look around your home. What areas or rooms seem to be causing the most stress or interfering with your daily life and happiness. Make a long list of the areas you want to tackle.
- Make shorts lists: A long list is great to get you started and know where you’re going, but a long list can also be very overwhelming. Once you’ve developed your long list, break it up into short simple lists. And only make one short list at a time. For instance, your long list may say something like “organize the hall closet” but your short list would say “look through all coats and make a “keep” pile and “donate” pile.
- Acquire the correct materials: You may need new storage units, shelving or cabinetry to ensure you have adequate space and resources. Just any ol’ space won’t do; it’s very helpful to have pieces of furniture or materials specifically made for whatever you’re trying to organize or store. At Braemar, we offer a realm of storage solutions and an expert designer who can help create the home you’ve envisioned.
- Hold everyone accountable: Once everything is in its place, hold yourself and the other folks in your home accountable. If something is laying on the couch or the counter, pick it up and put it where it belongs or remind the other person to do the same. They say it takes about 21 days to develop a new habit, so eventually this will become second nature.
- Do a little each day: Organizing a home becomes impossible when we let it get out of control. When piles get higher and higher, it becomes nearly impossible to get a handle on it. Once you become organized, take a little time each day to walk around the house and put all items where they belong.
Organization truly is a hidden blessing. It’s an amazing feeling to sit back and enjoy a clean, tidy, organized home. Take the time and effort to make it happen, and call Braemar so we can help you through the process.